Current:Home > MyNASA sets return date for empty Starliner spacecraft, crew will remain in space until 2025 -Visionary Wealth Guides
NASA sets return date for empty Starliner spacecraft, crew will remain in space until 2025
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 20:00:58
After almost three months of waiting and delays, Boeing’s Starliner spacecraft has a tentative return date, although it will do so without its two-person crew.
On Thursday, NASA said that, “pending weather and operational readiness,” the Starliner will undock from the International Space Station no earlier than 6:04 EDT on September 6. Following a six-hour flight, the spacecraft should touch down a few minutes after midnight on September 7 at a landing zone at the White Sands Space Harbor in New Mexico, where it will then be recovered and transported to the Boeing Starliner factory at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida.
Astronauts Barry “Butch” Wilmore and Sunita “Suni” Williams, who flew aboard the Starliner during its inaugural crewed flight on June 5, will remain at the International Space Station for another six months until they return in February aboard the SpaceX Dragon capsule.
An autonomous return
The Starliner will make the return journey autonomously, according to NASA. The spacecraft completed a similar uncrewed entry and landing during an earlier orbital flight test.
“Teams on the ground are able to remotely command the spacecraft if needed through the necessary maneuvers for a safe undocking, re-entry, and parachute-assisted landing in the southwest United States,” the agency said.
See timeline:2 months after Starliner launched, astronauts still haven’t returned
The Starliner's troubled history
The Starliner has had an often-troubled history since Boeing was awarded a $4.8 billion contract in 2014 to develop a spacecraft capable of making crewed trips to low-Earth orbit.
The spacecraft’s inaugural launch with astronauts aboard was initially scheduled for May 6, but was scrubbed just hour before liftoff after engineers discovered a technical anomaly. A second attempted launch in June 1 was scrubbed as well, this time only minutes before liftoff, due to a computer issue.
When the Starliner finally did launch on June 5 with Wilmore and Williams aboard, it was only scheduled to spend a week docked at the International Space Station. As the Starliner arrived in orbit, however, NASA announced that helium leaks had been discovered aboard the spacecraft. Throughout June and July, Boeing and NASA repeatedly delayed the Starliner’s return, although the space agency was emphatic that the Starliner’s crew was in no way stranded at the space station.
On August 24, NASA announced that the Starliner would return to Earth without its crew.
“Spaceflight is risky, even at its safest and most routine. A test flight, by nature, is neither safe nor routine. The decision to keep Butch and Suni aboard the International Space Station and bring Boeing’s Starliner home uncrewed is the result of our commitment to safety: our core value and our North Star,” NASA Administrator Bill Nelson said at the time.
Contributing: Eric Lagatta, USA TODAY
Max Hauptman is a Trending Reporter for USA TODAY. He can be reached at [email protected]
veryGood! (96185)
Related
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Long distance! Wrongly measured 3-point line on Nuggets’ court fixed ahead of tipoff with Mavericks
- No police investigation for husband of Norway’s ex-prime minister over stock trades
- Indiana AG Rokita reprimanded for comments on doctor who provided 10-year-old rape victim's abortion
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Dodgers pitcher Clayton Kershaw has left shoulder surgery, aims for return next summer
- California man who squatted at Yosemite National Park vacation home gets over 5 years in prison
- Will Taylor Swift be at the Chiefs’ game in Germany? Travis Kelce wouldn’t say
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Robert De Niro's girlfriend Tiffany Chen, ex-assistant take witness stand
Ranking
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Will Taylor Swift be at the Chiefs’ game in Germany? Travis Kelce wouldn’t say
- North Korea is closing some diplomatic missions in what may be a sign of its economic troubles
- Jessica Simpson Celebrates 6 Years of Sobriety With Moving Throwback Message
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Bankman-Fried’s trial exposed crypto fraud but Congress has not been eager to regulate the industry
- 15 UN peacekeepers in a convoy withdrawing from northern Mali were injured by 2 explosive devices
- Cedar Fair and Six Flags will merge to create a playtime powerhouse in North America
Recommendation
South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
We asked Hollywood actors and writers to imagine the strikes on screen
Fact checking 'Priscilla': Did Elvis and Priscilla Presley really take LSD together?
Toxic Pesticides Are Sprayed Next to Thousands of US Schools
FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
Russia steps up its aerial barrage of Ukraine as Kyiv officials brace for attacks on infrastructure
AP PHOTOS: Scenes of pain and destruction endure in week 4 of the latest Israel-Gaza conflict
Maleesa Mooney Case: Autopsy Reveals Model Was Not Pregnant at Time of Death